Sat, 31 Jul 2021

BUENOS AIRES, July 21 (Xinhua) -- The Boca Juniors squad that returned to Argentina on Wednesday after losing to Atletico Mineiro in a fractious Copa Libertadores round-of-16 match have been ordered to remain in quarantine for a week.

Argentina's health ministry said it issued the isolation order because of the risk of contagion after possible breaches of health protocols.

"The club will be responsible for the medical control... performing the PCR tests on the seventh day, preventing contact with third parties or any social activity in order to guarantee a bubble," read an Argentine government statement.

Earlier, Brazilian police charged six Boca Juniors players for their alleged involvement in violent clashes with police and officials following the Argentine side's 3-1 penalty shootout defeat to Atletico Mineiro in Belo Horizonte.

Two were charged with damaging property and released on a bail, set at around 550 U.S. dollars each. Another four were charged with physical assault and were freed after agreeing to appear before a judge at a later date.

The result at the Mineirao Stadium, which followed a goalless draw in the allotted 90 minutes, eliminated Boca from South America's most prestigious club competition. The clubs also drew 0-0 in last week's first leg in Buenos Aires.

Furious Boca officials vowed to file an official complaint to the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) after having goals disallowed by the video assistant referee (VAR) in both legs.

Television footage showed players and officials clashing with police in the tunnel leading to the dressing rooms after the match. Boca players said they had been left unable to breathe properly because of pepper spray allegedly used by officers.

More Argentina News

Access More

Sign up for Buenos Aires News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!